I have a degree and/or professional practice experience from another country

In the Netherlands only the use of the title is protected. In order to qualify for registration in the Dutch architects register on the basis of a foreign degree, your degree must be recognized first. Then we will determine whether or not you need to complete the professional practice experience ('BEP') before qualifying for registration. 

If you are an architect who is trained and qualified for the profession of architect in one EU country, you qualify for automatic recognition. In case of automatic recognition you don't have to do the professional practice experience ('BEP') in the Netherlands. Directive 2005/36/EC sets up a system for the recognition of professional qualifications in the European Union (EU), which also extends, under certain conditions, to the other European Economic Area countries and to Switzerland. Here, in Annex V 5.7.1, you can check if your degree can be recognized automatically. Please note that your degree and a certificate of your professional practice experience have to be from the same EU-country. 

Please note: in order to start the registration process we first need certified copies of your diploma and , if in your possession, proof of your professional practice experience. A certified copy is a copy bearing an original hallmark and signature/initials of your university, a notary or a municipal clerk.

Please send the certified copies by regular post to: Bureau Architectenregister, Nassauplein 24, 2585 EC, The Hague, The Netherlands. Alternatively you can make an appointment to show your original documents in our office in The Hague, we will make a digital approved copy.


Is automatic recognition not possible? Because you have a degree from outside the EU or a degree in urbanism, interior architecture or garden- and landscape architecture. Please use this form:



Your request for registration will not be processed until we have received the requested documents for registration by regular post. If your degree entitles you to registration in the architects register, we will send you an invoice for the registration fee. After receipt of payment, the registration procedure will start, taking 3 to 4 weeks. In order to confirm your registration, we will send you an email with further information about your certificate of registration and your personal account and we will send you an invoice for the annual contribution fee.


The registration fee amounts € 80. The annual contribution fee is € 65. In case of registration in the course of the year, the contribution fee will be calculated proportionately.

Rates for the recognition of foreign professional qualifications:

- no rate applies to automatic recognition;

- € 400,- for the processing of a request for recognition of professional qualifications obtained in another EU Member State, in a Member State that is party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area or in Switzerland. 

- € 800,- for the processing of a request for recognition of professional qualifications obtained outside the EU. 

Rates 2022 professional practice experiencethe independent route costs € 1.320,-, the integrated programme costs € 5.000,-.

BREXIT: The United Kingdom left the European Union on 31 January 2020. A Transition Period was agreed, running from 31 January 2020 to 31 December 2020 – during which time, the UK and the EU were negotiating the terms of a Free Trade Agreement which should cover, amongst other things, provisions for mobility and the provision of professional services. The mutual recognition of qualifications is not part of this agreement. Directive 2005/36/EC on the Mutual Recognition of Professional Qualifications (MRPQ) will no longer apply from 1 January 2021, so the arrangements currently set out in this Directive - including provisions for automatic recognition, recognition under the general system and temporary or occasional provision of services - no longer apply. 

For those who have received a master-diploma (Part II) and certificate (Part III) before January 1st 2021, the Dutch Architects Register will use the list in Annex V of Directive 2005/36/EC. In this case we will have a ‘mild’ approach, that is: global assessment of professional qualifications for a reduced fee (€ 400,-). For those with a diploma and certificate (Part III) after January 1st 2021 we will have to do a full assessment, similar to other 'third countries', of the professional qualifications for our standard fee (€ 800,-). REQUEST ASSESSMENT QUALIFICATIONS

On the websites of the Dutch Government and of the ARB you will find the latest information. We will be updating our information as we learn more. 

Temporary or occasional services: in the Netherlands, service providers who are not registered, are only permitted to use the professional title held by them in the European State in which they are established, in the official language of that state or in one of the official languages of that State. Service providers can request to be temporarily registered for the duration of the service in the capacity of architect, urban designer, garden and landscape architect or interior architect. Applicants must provide evidence of their lawful establishment as an of architect, urban designer, garden and landscape architect or interior architect in another European Member State, and that no disciplinary measures have been taken against them. They must confirm that they are an EEA national and that they have one year of professional experience in another EEA Member State, in the ten years preceding the temporary or occasional service provision, if the State is unregulated.

Temporary or occasional service providers can request to extend their temporary registration on a yearly basis. The register decides within three months after the fully documented request has been received. It is possible to object to or appeal against a decision. The registration of the service provider or the extension of this registration will go into effect after the applicable fees have been received. Please note that registration as a temporary or occasional service provider is only for those who are not established in the Netherlands.

Dutch (building) law
More information on Dutch (building) law and regulations. Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.